Nov. 22, 2012, 4:04 a.m.
NEWCASTLE City opening batsman Dylan Hunter is hopeful he can return to cricket in the new year after succumbing to a stress fracture in his back.
The 18-year-old has been sidelined since the Sabres’ round-three loss against Toronto Workers with an injury that normally affects young bowlers.
Not only is his absence a big loss for the last-placed City, who desperately need a batsman of Hunter’s quality, the stress fracture has crushed Hunter’s hopes of representing NSW at the national under-19 carnival.
Two years ago Hunter played in the NSW under-17 side.
For the past six months he has been complaining of pain in his lower back.
‘‘They didn’t think it would be this kind of injury. That’s why it went undiagnosed for a while,’’ Hunter said.
‘‘I just kept playing and it kept getting worse. Eventually I had to go and have it looked at.’’
X-rays revealed Hunter had a low-grade stress fracture.
The trainee personal trainer will do strength exercises and hopes to return for City’s round-10 50-over match against Waratah-Mayfield.
‘‘At the moment I’m just resting, but I’ve got to get back into light weights and Pilates after that,’’ he said.
Hunter is the second of City’s talented teenagers to be placed on the injury list.
Fast bowler Greg West, 18, is also unavailable until the new year after he injured his triceps in his Futures League debut for the ACT Comets three weeks ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment