Thursday, April 4, 2013

David Faulkner to step down as Newcastle Lib Dem leader - Journal Live


Leader of Newcastle City Council David Faulkner at the Civic Centre


ONE of the North East’s most senior Liberal Democrats is to step down as leader of his party.


Newcastle Lib Dem David Faulkner is to end his tenure as leader of the opposition, leaving Tyneside searching for a new party chief.


Mr Faulkner led Newcastle City Council before Labour took control in 2011.


In his time as head of the group he has routinely had the ear of party figures such as deputy prime minister Nick Clegg and business secretary Vince Cable. While he will remain as a ward councillor, Mr Faulkner said it was time for other activities.


He said: “2013 is a milestone year for me, 40 years this May since I was first elected a councillor, as well as having reached the age of 65 in January.


“I’d like to have more time as a local ward member, and also for activities outside politics, whether travelling, or some other part-time work interests that I still have – and with a range of charities, arts groups and other organisations with whom I’m actively associated with.”


He added: “I know there are many capable and experienced members of the Lib Dem Group who can take over – several having been in the cabinet during the years when we ran the council, and some active and well-respected in the party nationally, though I'm not backing any of them publicly.”



Looking back on his role, Mr Faulkner said: “Having been the first Liberal on Newcastle City Council since before the war when I was elected in 1973, it was a real pleasure and privilege for me to come back after a long gap and become part of the first Liberal Democrat administration between 2004 and 2011as cabinet member for culture for two years, John Shipley’s deputy leader for four years and then leader for a short time in 2010/11.


“I believe that we did a good job for the city and its people, and had it not been for the anti-coalition sentiment then there is a good chance that we would still be running the council, but that’s politics, you have to take the rough with the smooth.”


Henry Gallagher, chair of the city’s Liberal Democrat council group, said Mr Faulkner had “been a good friend and mentor to me personally”.


He added: “I am excited at the prospect of a leadership election which I am sure will energise and unite the group.


“With our new leader in place the Liberal Democrats will continue the fight against the Labour administration's savage cuts.“



No comments:

Post a Comment