Thursday, May 9, 2013

Big Willie finds redemption in Newcastle - ABC Online


The front-rower has attracted more than his share of drama over the years, and some were concerned he'd create problems at the club with his off-field behaviour.


Others were convinced he was past his best and wouldn't deliver on the paddock.


But Bennett, who'd previously coached Mason in the Kangaroos, was confident the big man was fit and ready to play, and could provide maturity and leadership for younger players.


His faith has proved well-founded, with Mason playing so well he's not only become a crowd favourite but is being touted as a candidate for the NSW State of Origin team.


As the former Toronto boy told ABC Grandstand's Craig Hamilton, he's used to surprising people. (listen to attached audio)


"I did predict that things would turn around in Newcastle, and would be a great fit for me," Willie says.


"Otherwise I would never have come to Newcastle."


After stints with the Bulldogs, Roosters and Cowboys, as well as playing rugby union in France, Mason was between engagements when he was signed by the Knights.


"I was always pretty positive that I was gonna find a home, it was just a matter of when," Mason says.


"It couldn't have turned out better, me coming back to Newcastle.


"In hindsight, coming back here's the best thing that's ever happened to me."


Willie says a big factor in his success with the Knights has been finding a coach in Bennett who genuinely cares for his players.


"That's why players love playing for him," he says. "That's his secret, he's not a bullshitter, he tells you how it is."


Mason has been delighted by the public response he's had since returning to Newcastle.


"That's been great," he says. "People obviously know that I'm a Toronto boy and I've always loved Newcastle.


"I do believe in karma, I do believe things happen for a reason."


Mason likes the idea that after leaving Lake Macquarie at 17 years old he's returned to finish his career in Newcastle, and be with friends and family.


"It's surreal really, and I couldn't have pictured it any better," he says.


"I couldn't have painted a better picture, if it works out in a couple of years with that Premiership ring."


People constantly tell Mason he's not how they expected him to be.


"With my past, people seem to judge a lot," he says.


"And then they sit down with me, I'm approachable, I might look unapproachable.


"People who actually know me, know that I'm not that person that people perceive.


"It's slowly turning around."


Mason is adamant he hasn't changed since he began playing footy, it's only people's perceptions that have shifted.


"I haven't changed, my mentality hasn't changed, my values haven't changed, my morals haven't changed," he says.


"But all of a sudden now my image has changed because of the power of the media."


As for State of Origin selection, Mason says "It would mean the world to me, to be honest.


"To be part of the NSW series that actually brings that shield back to this State would be up there with one of the highest accolades that I could dream of."


You can hear Craig Hamilton's interview with Willie Mason in full by clicking on the attached audio. It will also be played on Craig's Breakfast show on 1233 ABC Newcastle this Saturday from 6am. This weekend the Newcastle Knights go to Canberra to play the Raiders, and you can hear live coverage on Grandstand from 2pm.



No comments:

Post a Comment